Propecia is the brand name for the drug Finasteride, which is a 5-alpha reductase inhibitor. Propecia is primarily used in the treatment of male pattern baldness and other hair loss problems in men. The drug is also used to manage the condition of benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH) or enlarged prostate. The drug is considered as a very effective aid in stopping hair loss that also helps promote regrowth of lost hair.
How Propecia works
The prescription medication works by suppressing the conversion of testosterone into dihydrotestosterone (DHT). High levels of DHT are associated with weak hair follicles and loss of hair. By using Propecia on a daily basis, the DHT levels can be suppressed by up to 70%. The low DHT levels then pave way for hair follicles to strengthen, a significant reduction in hair loss, and even the growth of new hair in place of the lost ones. The drug is intended for long-term use if you want to see visible results.
It is available as compressed tablets in the dosage strengths of 1mg and 5mg. The single dose is taken at the same time every day so that the low DHT levels can be maintained. For male pattern hair loss, the typically prescribed Propecia dose is 1mg. Results usually take at least three to six months. If there is no significant improvement in scalp density by this time, the dosage may be iterated to higher. The patient may have to take the drug for more than a year in order to see the expected results. Discontinuing the drug can result in a reversal of the benefits.
How to take Propecia?
Propecia is most effective when it is taken only as directed by the healthcare provider. Take the single dose with a glass of water either with or without food, preferably at the same time every day. Stick to the schedule without skipping doses in order to get the maximum benefit from this drug. If you do not see any visible results even eight to twelve months after taking it, the drug may not be working for you and you may have used some alternate methods to stop the hair loss. There may be some side effects with the long-term use of the drug. Get regular blood checks done and also consult with the doctor if you notice any side effects.
What are the precautions of using Propecia?
- Propecia should not be used by any person allergic to the active ingredient Finasteride.
- It is indicated for use only in men and should not be used by women or children. The drug can be absorbed through the skin and hence, women and children should not handle the tablets.
- Pregnant women should avoid coming into contact with Propecia as the active ingredient Finasteride is likely to cause birth defects if absorbed through the skin.
- The medication should be taken only after the doctor rules out the risk of aggravating certain health conditions like prostate cancer, liver or kidney disease, trouble urinating, and bladder muscle disorder.
- The drug can increase the risk of developing prostate cancer, which is why the user should get regular health checks done.
- If you feel any weakness, avoid getting up from a sitting position too quickly.
- Take the pills only in the recommended dose and do not modify them unless directed by the doctor to do so.
Propecia is most effective if you continue the drug treatment without missing doses. Take the missed dose as soon as you remember to do so, which should be skipped if it is closer to the time for the next scheduled dose.
Get emergency medical attention in case of suspected Propecia overdose. The drug is not likely to cause any life-threatening overdose symptoms.
Store the Propecia pills away from direct heat, moisture, and sunlight. In case the pill is broken or crumbled, this should not be handled by women or children as it can be absorbed through the skin. The area where the drug comes into contact with skin should be washed with soap immediately. When not in use, keep the pills bottled tightly in a safe place.
Propecia side effects can occur when the body adjusts to the medication initially. If you see an additional loss of hair, this just means that the drug is working and the weak hair follicles are falling before getting replaced with new ones. Consult with the doctor right away if there are symptoms of severe or persistent side effects. Symptoms may include:
- Skin rash
- Runny nose
- Swelling in the hands and feet
- Tenderness in the breast
- Lack of interest in sex
- Ejaculation problems
Propecia may or may not interact with other drugs that you may be taking. To be on the safer side and prevent any unwarranted harmful effects, inform the doctor if you are taking any other prescription medications, over-the-counter pills, herbal supplements or even vitamins.
How to buy Propecia Without prescription from an online pharmacy?
If you do not have a prescription then follow this procedure to get the medication through an online pharmacy. When you are going to follow these instructions, it would be very easy for you to buy the hair loss drug.
- Ensure whether the chosen internet based pharmacy would provide online doctor consultation option or not.
- As you enter into the site, you would be asked to fill the questionnaire that contains questions about your health condition.
- A US online medico would be calling you personally to examine about your health condition and In addition to this, you might also be asked to upload your medical report too.
- If you are a person who is below 18 years of age then you should get help from elders to indulge in an online consultation.
- People who need the hair loss drug would be provided with a prescription online. Some online pharmacies would be charging consultation fee whereas in some places it is free.
- Use this e-prescription to get the number of Propecia pills that you require with the appropriate dosage strength from the genuine online pharmacy like http://www.healthprose.org/propecia/, which helps in getting low-cost Propecia pills without compromising on the quality of the drug.